Martin Matthew Gelchion I (1858-1899) aka Matthew Gelchion aka Martin Gelchion; Gardener (b. 1858, Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, USA - d. September 16, 1899, Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, USA)
In some documents he is listed as Matthew Gelchion and in others as Martin Gelchion. The Gelchion name in the US is unique to the descendants of Richard and Bridget. The name may have been "Gleason" in Ireland but was misunderstood when Richard entered the country.
- Anna Katherine Gelchion (1851-1927) who married Michael Joseph Dermody II (1850-1922)
- Michael William Gelchion (1855-?)
- Richard Gelchion II (1860-1944) a gardener who married Catherine A. Farley (1861-1934)
- John Gelchion (1864-1972)
- William F. Gelchion I (1864-1957) a gardener who married Mary A. Maloney (1865-1943)
- Patrick Gelchion (1868-1893)
Matthew married Jane E. Hogan (1864-1949) of Ireland on January 13, 1886 at Saint Paul's Roman Catholic Church in Jersey City.
By 1910 she had 8 children with 5 living:
- Matthew John Gelchion I (1886-1966) who married Mary E. Sullivan (1890-1967)
- Mary Catherine Gelchion (1888-1889) who died as infant
- Elizabeth Gelchion (1890-1961) who married William Henry Haney (1888-1985)
- Katherine Gelchion II (1892-?) aka Kitty Gelchion, who married John Morgan
- Winifred Gelchion (1895-?) aka Winnie Gelchion, who married Joseph T. Furey I (1895-1925)
- Jane B. Gelchion (1895-1976) aka Jennie Gelchion, who married Patrick Cryan (1894-1961) aka Packy Cryan
Matthew Gelchion died of tuberculosis.
He was buried in Holy Name Cemetery in Jersey City, along with many of his siblings and children.