This text is collapsible.
Arizona LDS Pioneer - Died at Age 101 leaving a great posterity
- Daughter of Welcome Chapman Jr (1849-1900) and Mary Adeline Potter (1854-1874)
- 1872-Apr-22 : Birth at Parleys Park, Summit Co, Utah Territory, USA
- 1884-May/Jun : Family relocated to settle St Johns, Arizona Territory, USA
- 1888-Sep-12 : Marriage to James Moroni Richey (1848-1930) (Rone) at Washington, Washington Co, Utah Territory, USA She was age 16, and Rone was age 40.
- 1973-July-03 : Died at Show Low, Navajo Co, Arizona, USA
- 1973-July-07 : Buried at St Johns Cemetary, Apache Co, Arizona, USA
Mary Ann's life is well described in her book (see references below).
She was born in a cabin in Parley's Park, a small town north of Park City, Utah. Her mother died when she was two years old, so her and her younger sister were raised by their grandmother. Her father would later remarry twice.
At age 12 her father took Mary Ann with the family on a mission to settle St Johns, Arizona (May/June 1884).
She was 16 when she married Rone Richey who at age 40, was one year older than her father. They settled on a farm at Richville, just 20 miles south of St Johns.
In 1922, her husband retired from farming and they relocated into St Johns. He died in 1930. Mary Ann was a widow for 43 years.
Children of James Moroni Richey and Mary Ann Chapman
All Children were born in St Johns, Apache Co, Arizona Territory, USA
- Mary Lucinda Richey (1889-1989) - m. James LeRoy Stradling
- James Welcome Richey (1891-1891) - stillborn
- Eleanor Ruth Richey (1892-1893) - died infant
- Moroni Forest Richey (1893-1932) - US Army Veteran of World War I - m. Mary Eliza Mae Nielsen
- Hugh Richey (1896-1979) - m. Nellie Magnolia Nielsen
- John Montgomery Richey (1897-1897) - died - infant
- Emily Elizabeth Richey (1900-1952) - m. Biness Harvey Stradling
- Leigh Montrose Richey (1902-1989) - Twin, m. Rhoda Luella Knudsen - granddaughter of Hyrum Chapman, Rhoda and Leigh are 2nd cousins
- Josephine Richey (1902-1984) - Twin, m. 1) Golden Farr (a cousin of GW Romney, Governor of Michigan), m. 2) John Crandell
- Vivian Richey (1905-2000) - m. Clarence Rencher
- Leslie Jay Richey (1908-1979) - m. Mable James
- Daisy Richey (1915-2001) - m. Ivan Merriman Lewis
- Welcome Chapman Family Ancestry
- Mary Ann Chapman Richey, An Arizona Pioneer - Her History and Her Family, compiled by Alvin C. Rencher, 2009. Collection of family history and her personal diaries.
- Ancestors Page
- Gravesite Photo
1900 US Census
Take 2-Jun-1900, Apache Co, Arizona
- James M Richey (M-52) - Parents born in Alabama / Ocp: Farmer
- Mary A Richey (F-28) - Parents born in Utah
- Lucinda Richey (F-10)
- JH Forest Richey (M-6)
- Hugh Richey (M-4)
|Offspring of Welcome Chapman Jr and Mary Adeline Potter (1854-1874)|
|Mary Ann Chapman (1872-1973)||22 April 1872 Parleys Park, Summit County, Utah, United States||3 July 1973 Show Low, Navajo County, Arizona, United States|| James Moroni Richey (1848-1930)|
|Elizabeth Amelia Chapman (1874-1962)||28 February 1874 South Cottonwood, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States||6 November 1962 Show Low, Navajo County, Arizona, United States|| Charles Douglas (1854-1919)|
|Offspring of Welcome Chapman Jr and Harriet Zelnora Marsden (1854-1884)|
|Welcome Chapman (1877-1877)|
|Offspring of Welcome Chapman Jr and Harriet Ann Davis (1868-1945)|
|Welcome Davis Chapman (1889-1976)|| |
|Sylvia Jane Chapman (1891-1901)|| |
|John Davis Chapman (1893-1988)|| |
|Ray Davis Chapman (1894-1895)|| |
|Ida Ann Chapman (1897-1990)|| |
|Orson Davis Chapman (1900-1900)|