|View category for people with the Messerly surname|
|Origin:||Swiss- "Messer" (german: knife), "li" (Swiss diminutive)|
Swiss- "Messer" (german: knife), "li" (Swiss diminutive)
- Messerli - Dominant spelling in Switzerland. In the 18th century Maesserli was a fashionable spelling, but prior to that, the spelling is again Messerli.
- Messerley, Meserly- common typos or mistranscriptions
- Messerle (Swabian), Mässerly- Alternate european spellings
Growth in the USEdit
Exhaustive info may be found in Migrations: Messerli.
The first known Messerly in the US is Daniel Messerly (c1717) who arrived on the Ship Crown on 30 Aug 1749.
- 0 (1790)
- 1 (1800) Peter- (son of Daniel Messerly (c1717)) (York, PA)
- 2 (1810) Abraham- (York), Jora (Rockingham, VA), 1 Benjn Messerle
- 1 (1820) John "Messerley" (Rockingham, VA)
- 6 (1830) Solomon (Rockingham), Daniel (York), George (Columbiana Co, OH), Nicolas (Fairfield Co, OH), Silas (Columbia Co, NY), Br Messerli (New Hanover, NC)
- 9 (1840) Solomon, Daniel, George, Nicolas (same locations)