Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Metcalfe County, Kentucky|
Metcalfe County courthouse in Edmonton
Location in the state of Kentucky
Kentucky's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Thomas Metcalfe|
291 sq mi (754 km²)
290 sq mi (751 km²)
1.5 sq mi (4 km²), 0.5%
35/sq mi (14/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Metcalfe County is a county located in the U.S. state of Kentucky. As of the 2010 census, the population was 10,099. Its county seat is Edmonton. The county was founded in May 1860 and named for Thomas Metcalfe, Governor of Kentucky from 1828–32. It is a prohibition or dry county.
- Hart County (northwest)
- Green County (northeast)
- Adair County (east)
- Cumberland County (southeast)
- Monroe County (south)
- Barren County (west)
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,037 people, 4,016 households, and 2,883 families residing in the county. The population density was 34 per square mile (13 /km2). There were 4,592 housing units at an average density of 16 per square mile (6.2 /km2). The racial makeup of the county was 97.26% White, 1.64% Black or African American, 0.25% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 0.13% from other races, and 0.65% from two or more races. 0.53% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 4,016 households out of which 32.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.10% were married couples living together, 10.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.20% were non-families. 25.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.60% under the age of 18, 8.20% from 18 to 24, 28.50% from 25 to 44, 23.60% from 45 to 64, and 15.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 95.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $23,540, and the median income for a family was $29,178. Males had a median income of $22,430 versus $18,591 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,236. About 18.80% of families and 23.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.20% of those under age 18 and 27.90% of those age 65 or over.
- Dry counties
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Metcalfe County, Kentucky
- The Kentucky Headhunters, a country music/southern rock act that formed in Metcalfe County
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/21/21169.html. Retrieved March 6, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ http://www.kyenc.org/entry/m/METCA02.html
- ^ The Register of the Kentucky State Historical Society, Volume 1. Kentucky State Historical Society. 1903. pp. 36. http://books.google.com/books?id=luoxAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA36#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- ^ "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/docs/gazetteer/counties_list_21.txt. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ky190090.txt. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Metcalfe County, Kentucky. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|