Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Milwaukee County, Wisconsin|
Location in the state of Wisconsin
Wisconsin's location in the U.S.
1,190 sq mi (3,082 km²)
242 sq mi (627 km²)
948 sq mi (2,455 km²), 79.70%
3,929/sq mi (1,517/km²)
Adjacent counties Edit
- Ozaukee County - north
- Racine County - south
- Waukesha County - west
- Washington County - northwest
- Muskegon County, Michigan - east (maritime border)
- Ottawa County, Michigan - east (maritime border)
|Source: U.S. Census|
As of the 2000 census, the county had a population of 940,164. Its estimated 2008 population was 953,328. As of the 2007 census estimate, there were 951,026 people, 377,729 households, and 225,126 families residing in the county. The population density was 3,931 people per square mile (1,503/km²). There were 400,093 housing units at an average density of 1,656 per square mile (640/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 65.62% White, 24.59% Black or African American, 0.72% Native American, 2.57% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 4.25% from other races, and 2.21% from two or more races. 8.77% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 25.0% were of German, 10.9% Polish and 5.3% Irish ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 377,729 households out of which 29.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.00% were married couples living together, 16.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.40% were non-families. 33.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the county, the population was spread out with 26.40% under the age of 18, 10.50% from 18 to 24, 30.30% from 25 to 44, 20.00% from 45 to 64, and 12.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 92.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.10 males.
In 2000, the county was the center of the Metropolitan Area in which the residential pattern of Blacks versus Whites was the most extremely segregated in the country, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
- County Executive: Chris Abele (D)
- District Attorney: John T. Chisholm (D)
- Sheriff: David A. Clark. (D)
- Register of Deeds: John La Fave (D)
- Board of Supervisors (19 members) 
Bus service in Milwaukee County is provided by the Milwaukee County Transit System, which operates 469 New Flyer and 5 Gillig Low Floor buses on 56 routes. The transit system received an additional nine buses in 2006.
Cities and villages Edit
- Brown Deer
- Fox Point
- Hales Corners
- Oak Creek
- River Hills
- South Milwaukee
- St. Francis
- West Allis
- West Milwaukee
- Whitefish Bay
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ U.S. Census Bureau. Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files
- ^ Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission (July 2004). "The Population of Southeastern Wisconsin" (PDF). Retrieved on 2007-04-09.
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GCTTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=04000US55&-_box_head_nbr=GCT-T1-R&-ds_name=PEP_2008_EST&-_lang=en&-redoLog=false&-mt_name=PEP_2008_EST_GCTT1_ST2&-format=ST-2S&-_sse=on
- ^ Racial and Ethnic Residential Segregation in the United States: 1980-2000
|Washington County||Ozaukee County||Muskegon County, Michigan|
|Waukesha County||Ottawa County, Michigan|
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Milwaukee County, Wisconsin. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|