The Mumbai Suburban district (Marathi: मुंबई उपनगर जिल्हा) is a district of the state of Maharashtra in western India. Its headquarters is in Bandra (Marathi:Vandre). It consists of three administrative subdivisions or tehsils: Kurla, Andheri, and Borivali. The district along with Mumbai City district make up the metropolis of Mumbai. The district occupies an area of 369 km².
This is the second smallest district of Maharashtra, administratively comes under Konkan Division.
Mumbai Suburban District is one of the largest districts in the country by population. The current population is 8,587,561, according to 2001 census, making it the fifth most populous district in India (out of 640). The Mithi River is the main river in the district.
Many important places have adorned the beauty of this district, including Mount Mary Church, Jogeshwari Caves, Mahakali Caves, Essel World Water Kingdom, Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Aarey Colony, Kanheri Caves, Film City, Tulsi Lake, Vihar Lake and Powai Lake.
|Climate chart for Mumbai|
|temperatures in °C • precipitation totals in mm|
source: Indian Meteorological Department
According to the 2011 census, Mumbai Suburban District has a population of 9,332,481 , roughly equal to the nation of Benin or the US state of North Carolina. This gives it a ranking of 5th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 20,925 inhabitants per square kilometre (54,200 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 8.01 %. Mumbai Suburban has a sex ratio of 857 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 90.9 %.
- ^ "Mumbai Suburban District". Mumbaisuburban.gov.in. http://mumbaisuburban.gov.in/. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- ^ Mumbai Suburban Official Website. Retrieved April 28, 2008.
- ^ "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ a b c d e f "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html. Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Benin 9,325,032"
- ^ "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/apportionment-pop-text.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "North Carolina 9,535,483"
Mumbai Suburban district
|Mumbai City district|
|This Mumbai location article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Mumbai Suburban District. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|