|— County —|
|• Total||6,714 km2 (2,592 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 census)|
|• Density||82/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 265 or (+40) 365|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-MS|
Mureş (Romanian pronunciation: [ˈmureʃ]; Hungarian: Maros, Hungarian pronunciation: [ˈmɒroʃ]) is a county (judeţ) of Romania, in the historical region of Transylvania, with the administrative centre in Târgu Mureş.
The county has a total area of 6,714 km².
The northeastern side of the county consists of the Călimani and Gurghiu Mountains and the sub-Carpathian hills, members of the Inner Eastern Carpathians. The rest of the county is part of the Transylvanian Plateau, with deep but wide valleys.
- Harghita County in the East.
- Alba County and Cluj County in the West.
- Bistriţa-Năsăud County and Suceava County in the North.
- Sibiu County and Braşov County in the South.
|Ethnic structure (2002)|
In terms of religion:
- Romanian Orthodox - 53.3%
- Reformed Church - 27%
- Roman Catholic Church - 9.5%
- Other Christian denominations - 8.2%
- Jewish, Muslim, Atheist, Non-religious, other or undeclared - 1.9%
Some of the main tourist attractions in the county are:
- The medieval city of Sighişoara.
- The old city of Târgu Mureş.
- Sovata Resort.
- Călimani Mountains - Gurghiu Mountains.
- The city of Reghin
- Peninsula / Félsziget Festival - Romania's biggest music festival
The predominant industries in the county are:
- Wood industry.
- Food industry.
- Textile industry.
- Glass and ceramics industry.
- Construction materials.
- Musical instruments (Reghin).
|Political Party||Number of Seats|
|Democratic Union of Hungarians in Romania (RMDSZ)||13|
|National Liberal Party (PNL)||8|
|Liberal Democratic Party (PD-L)||7|
|Social Democratic Party (PSD)||6|
Mureş County has 4 municipalities, 7 towns and 91 communes
- ^ "Population at 20 October 2011" (in Romanian). INSSE. 5 July 2013. http://www.recensamantromania.ro/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/sR_TAB_3.xlsx. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- ^ The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia după etnie"
- (Hungarian) EuroMaros
- (Hungarian) Mediatica News
- (Romanian) Mureş Info
- (Romanian)(Hungarian) Mureş online