Nahum Bigelow was born to farmers in Vermont. By 1826 he moves to Lawrenceville IL where he marries Mary Gibbs and they start to raise a family.
Sometime in 1835 they are converted to the new LDS Church and in 1840 they move to Hancock County, Illinois to join them.
In late 1845, mobbers came twice to their ranch house in rural Hancock County and threatened to burn down their home. It was at this same time Nahum was very sick from malaria and two children died from the disease. The family was obliged to join the Mormon Exodus west, eventually settling in Utah.
Marriage & Family
- Mary Jane Bigelow (1827-1868) - plural wife to LDS Church President Brigham Young (1801-1877), but divorced him, no children.
- Hiram Bigelow (1829-1916) - md Martha Mecham
- Lucy Bigelow (1830-1905) - Her parents were earnest followers of the Mormon Church and were heavily persecuted in IL and by 1850 were established in Utah. Lucy and her older sister, Mary Jane Bigelow (1827-1868), became wives of Brigham Young. Mary Jane obtained a divorce and married again, but Lucy remained a devoted wife to Brigham. Lucy married Brigham Young (1801-1877), on 20 March 1847 - the same day as did her older sister.
- Asa Elijah Bigelow (1832-1911) - md Julian Ann Cook
- Lovina Bigelow (1834-1900) - md John Wesley Witt
- Liola Bigelow (1835-1845) - died at age 10 from malaria at Bigelow Ranch in rural Hancock County.
- Sariah Bigelow (1838-1877) - md Daniel Dean Cook
- Moroni Bigelow (1840-1870) - md Elvira Jane Mecham
- Daniel Bigelow (1842-1921) - md Emeline A Stevens
- Joseph Smith Bigelow (1844-1845) - died as infant from malaria at Bigelow Ranch in rural Hancock County.
|Offspring of Simeon Bigelow and Sarah Foster (1760-1789)|
|Henry Bigelow (1781-1859)|| |
|Noah Bigelow (1783-1850)|| |
|Nahum Bigelow (1785-1851)||9 February 1785 Brandon, Rutland County, Vermont||28 January 1851 Farmington, Davis County, Utah|| Mary Gibbs (1809-1888)|
|Sarah Bigelow (1787-)|| |
|Hiram Bigelow (1789-1842)|
|Offspring of Simeon Bigelow and Elizabeth Avery (1764-1804)|
|Elijah Avery Bigelow (1790-1847)|| |
|Daniel Post Bigelow (1792-1853)|| |
|Thirza Bigelow (1794-1850)|| |
|Olive Bigelow (1796-1821)|| |
|Augustus Bigelow (1798-1870)|| |
|Minerva Bigelow (1799-1804)|| |
|Eliza Bigelow (1801-1853)|| |
|Simeon Bigelow (1803-1866)|
- Nahum Bigelow 1785 Immigrant Ancestors - Famous Ancestors, Cousins & Descendants
- A Sketch of Nahum Bigelow written by his granddaughter, Susa Young Gates - (Juvenile Instructor, 15 April 1891)