Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Ness County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Kansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1867|
|Named for||Cpl. Noah V. Ness|
1,075.00 sq mi (2,784 km²)
1,074.75 sq mi (2,784 km²)
0.26 sq mi (1 km²), 0.02%
2.8/sq mi (1.1/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Ness County (standard abbreviation: NS) is a county located in the U.S. state of Kansas. As of the 2010 census, the county population was 3,107. The largest city and county seat is Ness City. Ness County was named for Corporal Noah V. Ness of the 7th Kansas Cavalry. Ness died of wounds received in a skirmish at Abbeville, Mississippi in August 1864.
Law and governmentEdit
Following amendment to the Kansas Constitution in 1986, the county remained a prohibition, or "dry", county until 2004, when voters approved the sale of alcoholic liquor by the individual drink with a 30% food sales requirement.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 1,075.00 square miles (2,784.2 km2), of which 1,074.75 square miles (2,783.6 km2) (or 99.98%) is land and 0.26 square miles (0.67 km2) (or 0.02%) is water.
- Trego County (north)
- Ellis County (northeast)
- Rush County (east)
- Pawnee County (southeast)
- Hodgeman County (south)
- Finney County (southwest)
- Lane County (west)
- Gove County (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,454 people, 1,516 households, and 977 families residing in the county. The population density was 3 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 1,835 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.23% White, 0.06% Black or African American, 0.23% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 0.49% from other races, and 0.90% from two or more races. 1.51% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,516 households out of which 26.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.10% were married couples living together, 4.70% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.50% were non-families. 33.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.23 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the county the population was spread out with 22.90% under the age of 18, 4.60% from 18 to 24, 24.00% from 25 to 44, 24.20% from 45 to 64, and 24.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 98.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,340, and the median income for a family was $39,775. Males had a median income of $27,892 versus $20,037 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,787. About 6.50% of families and 8.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.50% of those under age 18 and 10.20% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns Edit
Name and population (2004 estimate):
Ness County is divided into ten townships. None of the cities within the county are considered governmentally independent, and all figures for the townships include those of the cities. In the following table, the population center is the largest city (or cities) included in that township's population total, if it is of a significant size.
/km² (/sq mi)
| Land area|
km² (sq mi)
| Water area|
km² (sq mi)
|Water %||Geographic coordinates|
|Bazine||04800||Bazine||441||1 (4)||312 (120)||0 (0)||0%|
|Center||11925||Ness City||1,567||13 (33)||124 (48)||0 (0)||0.01%|
|Eden||19775||70||0 (1)||266 (103)||0 (0)||0%|
|Forrester||23875||109||1 (1)||206 (80)||0 (0)||0%|
|Franklin||24475||132||0 (1)||372 (144)||0 (0)||0.02%|
|Highpoint||32100||93||0 (1)||312 (121)||0 (0)||0.08%|
|Johnson||35550||76||0 (1)||308 (119)||0 (0)||0.05%|
|Nevada||50125||Ransom||479||2 (4)||278 (107)||0 (0)||0.04%|
|Ohio||52400||Utica||345||1 (3)||298 (115)||0 (0)||0%|
|Waring||75400||Brownell||142||0 (1)||308 (119)||0 (0)||0.03%|
Unified school districts Edit
Information on this and other counties in Kansas
- List of counties in Kansas
- List of Kansas county name etymologies
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Kansas
- Kansas locations by per capita income
Other information for Kansas
- List of cities in Kansas
- List of unified school districts in Kansas
- List of colleges and universities in Kansas
- ^ "2010 County Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved March 31, 2011.
- ^ Kansas Place-Names,John Rydjord, University of Oklahoma Press, 1972, ISBN 0-8061-0994-7
- ^ "Map of Wet and Dry Counties". Alcoholic Beverage Control, Kansas Department of Revenue. November 2006. http://www.ksrevenue.org/abcwetdrymap.htm. Retrieved 2007-12-26.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
- General county information
- County Level Data
- Ness County Map, KDOT
- Kansas Highway Map, KDOT
- Kansas Railroad Map, KDOT
- Kansas School District Boundary Map, KSDE
|Gove County||Trego County||Ellis County|
|Lane County||Rush County|
Ness County, Kansas
|Finney County||Hodgeman County||Pawnee County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Ness County, Kansas. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|