Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Northwest Arctic Borough, Alaska|
Location in the state of Alaska
Alaska's location in the U.S.
|Founded||June 2, 1986|
40,762 sq mi (105,573 km²)
4,864 sq mi (12,598 km²), 11.93%
0/sq mi (0/km²)
The borough has a total area of 40,762 square miles (105,573 km²), of which 35,898 square miles (92,976 km²) is land and 4,864 square miles (12,597 km²) (11.93%) is water. By land area, it is slightly bigger than the state of Indiana.
Its coastline is limited by the Chukchi Sea. The Kotzebue Sound, a significant wildlife area, is a prominent water body within the Northwest Arctic Borough. At Kotzebue Sound was recorded the largest polar bear sighted in history, a male weighing 2002 pounds.
Adjacent boroughs and census areas Edit
- North Slope Borough, Alaska - north
- Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area, Alaska - east
- Nome Census Area, Alaska - south
|North Slope Borough|
|Bering Sea||Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area|
Northwest Arctic Borough, Alaska
|Nome Census Area|
National protected areasEdit
- Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge (part of the Chukchi Sea unit)
- Bering Land Bridge National Preserve (part)
- Cape Krusenstern National Monument
- Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve (part)
- Kobuk Valley National Park
- Koyukuk National Wildlife Refuge (part)
- Koyukuk Wilderness (part)
- Noatak National Preserve (part)
- Noatak Wilderness (part)
- Selawik National Wildlife Refuge (part)
- Selawik Wilderness (part)
At the 2000 census, there were 7,208 people, 1,780 households and 1,404 families residing in the borough. The population density was 0 per square mile (0/km²). There were 2,540 housing units at an average density of 0 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 12.32% White, 0.21% Black or African American, 82.46% Native American, 0.89% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.36% from other races, and 3.70% from two or more races. 0.79% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 40.00% reported speaking Inupik or "Eskimo" at home .
There were 1,780 households of which 55.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.90% were married couples living together, 19.70% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.10% were non-families. 16.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.87 and the average family size was 4.36.
Age distribution was 41.50% under the age of 18, 10.00% from 18 to 24, 28.10% from 25 to 44, 15.50% from 45 to 64, and 5.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 24 years. For every 100 females there were 114.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 120.70 males.
Cities and census-designated places Edit
See also Edit
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ C. Michael Hogan (2008) Polar Bear: Ursus maritimus, Globaltwitcher.com, ed. N. Stromberg
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Borough map: Alaska Department of Labor
- Summaries of Division of Subsistence research projects in northwest Alaska / Division of Subsistence, Alaska Department of Fish and Game. hosted by the Alaska State Publications Program.
- Subsistence wildlife harvests in five northwest Alaska communities, 2001-2003 : results of a household survey / by Kawerak, Inc., Maniilaq Association, and the Alaska Department of Fish and Game ; by Susan Georgette ... [et al.]. Hosted by Alaska State Publications Program.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Northwest Arctic Borough, Alaska. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|