Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|O'Brien County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
|Named for||William Smith O'Brien|
573 sq mi (1,484 km²)
573 sq mi (1,484 km²)
0.2 sq mi (1 km²), 0.03%
25/sq mi (10/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
O'Brien County was founded in 1851. The county was named for William Smith O'Brien, a leader for Irish independence in 1848. The present courthouse was completed in 1917, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 14,398 people, 6,069 households, and 3,927 families residing in the county. The population density was 25.1239/sq mi (9.7004/km2). There were 6,649 housing units at an average density of 11 per square mile (4/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.0% White, 0.5% Black or African American, 0.1% American Indian, 0.6% Asian, 2.0% from other races, and 0.8% from two or more races. The county has a 3.8% Hispanic or Latino background.
There were 6,069 households out of which 26.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.1% were married couples living together, 6.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 35.3% were non-families. 31.5% of all households were made up of individuals living alone and 33.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.31 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.7% under the age of 20, 4.6% from 20 to 24, 21.3% from 25 to 44, 28.1% from 45 to 64, and 20.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43.6 years. For every 100 females there were 95.80 males. For every 100 females, there were 99.1 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $44,018, and the median income for a family was $58,127. The per capita income for the county was $24,771. About 6.3% of families and 11.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.7% of those under age 18 and 8.3% of those age 65 or over.
† county seat
|Rank||City/Town/etc.||Municipal type||Population (2010 Census)
|1||Sheldon (partially in Sioux County)||City||5,188|
- National Register of Historic Places listings in O'Brien County, Iowa
- Indian Village Site in the Witrock Area
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/19/19141.html. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Columbia-Lippincott Gazeteer, (New York:Columbia University Press, 1952), p. 1363
- ^ Chicago and North Western Railway Company (1908). A History of the Origin of the Place Names Connected with the Chicago & North Western and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railways. p. 162. https://books.google.com/books?id=OspBAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA162.
- ^ "O’Brien County Courthouse". Iowa Judicial Branch. http://www.iowacourtsonline.org/wfdata/frame1759-1464/pressrel99.asp. Retrieved 2011-03-07.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2015/CO-EST2015-alldata.html. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ia190090.txt. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Population and Housing Occupancy Status: 2010 - State -- County". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved March 26, 2011.
- ^ http://www.census.gov/2010census/
- O'Brien County Portal style website, Government, Business, Tourism and more
- IaGenWeb O'Brien county history, Biographies, and more
- City-Data Comprehensive Statistical Data and more about O'Brien County
|Sioux County||Clay County|
O'Brien County, Iowa
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at O'Brien County, Iowa. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|