Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|— County —|
|• Total||5,498 km2 (2,123 sq mi)|
|• Density||89/km2 (230/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 249 or (+40) 349|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-OT|
In 2002, it had a population of 489,274 and the population density was 89/km².
The county is a mainly rural one, with over 60% of the population living in villages.
This county has a total area of 5,498 km².
The county lies in a flat area on the Western part of the Romanian Plain. It is crossed by rivers from North to South, the main one - the Olt River giving the county its name. The Danube forms a wide valley in the South, with lots of ponds and small channels, which are flooded from time to time.
- Teleorman County to the East.
- Dolj County to the West.
- Argeș County and Vâlcea County to the North.
- Bulgaria to the South - Vratsa Province and Pleven Province.
The predominant industries in the county are:
- Metallurgy - aluminium and aluminium components.
- Railway equipment.
- Food and beverages industry.
- Textile industry.
- Mechanical components industry.
Agriculture is the main occupation in the county - over 58% of the population having agriculture as their main occupation. Both extensive agriculture, and small scale, vegetables and fruits, are practiced. The area is well suited for irrigations.
The main touristical destinations are:
- The city of Slatina.
- Fishing on the Danube and on the Olt River.
- City of Corabia with an ancient roman citadelle, large orthodoxe cathedral, Danube sunbathes, sailing and fishing.
- The town of Scorniceşti - the birthplace of Nicolae Ceauşescu.
Administrative divisions Edit
Olt County has 2 municipalities, 6 towns and 104 communes
- ^ The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia după etnie"
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 şi 2002"