|Orange County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont
Vermont's location in the U.S.
692 sq mi (1,792 km²)
689 sq mi (1,785 km²)
3 sq mi (8 km²), 0.46%
42/sq mi (16.21/km²)
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 692 square miles (1,790 km2), of which 689 square miles (1,780 km2) is land and 3 square miles (7.8 km2) (0.46%) is water.
- Caledonia County, Vermont - northeast
- Grafton County, New Hampshire - east
- Windsor County, Vermont - southwest
- Addison County, Vermont - west
- Washington County, Vermont - northwest
As of the census of 2000, there were 28,226 people, 10,936 households, and 7,611 families residing in the county. The population density was 41 people per square mile (16/km²). There were 13,386 housing units at an average density of 19 per square mile (8/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.02% White, 0.24% Black or African American, 0.27% Native American, 0.35% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.13% from other races, and 0.95% from two or more races. 0.58% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 24.3% were of English, 12.8% French, 11.5% American, 10.8% Irish, 6.0% German and 5.5% French Canadian ancestry according to Census 2000. 97.4% spoke English and 1.5% French as their first language.
There were 10,936 households out of which 33.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.10% were married couples living together, 8.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.40% were non-families. 23.40% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the county, the population was spread out with 25.60% under the age of 18, 7.80% from 18 to 24, 28.20% from 25 to 44, 25.60% from 45 to 64, and 12.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 99.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $39,855, and the median income for a family was $45,771. Males had a median income of $30,679 versus $24,144 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,784. About 6.10% of families and 9.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.40% of those under age 18 and 8.80% of those age 65 or over.
|2008||64.6% 9,799||33.3% 5,047|
|2004||54.8% 8,159||43.1% 6,421|
|2000||45.6% 6,694||46.7% 6,858|
The county is served by 4 school districts (supervisory unions):
- Orange East Supervisory Union (Superintendent:Wendy Baker)
- Orange North Supervisory Union
- Orange Southwest Supervisory Union
- Orange Windsor Supervisory Union.
Orange North Supervisory UnionEdit
- Orange Center School (Principal:Richard P. Jacobs)
- Washington Village School (Principal:Charles R. Witters, Jr.)
- Williamstown Elementary School (Principal:Elaine K. Watson)
- Williamstown Middle High School (Principal:Heidi Moccia (middle); Juanita Burch-Clay (high)).
Cities and towns Edit
- West Fairlee
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ http://www.census.gov/population/www/censusdata/cencounts/files/vt190090.txt
- ^ http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_QTPL&prodType=table
- ^ http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu/
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections". http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/. Retrieved 2011-06-11.
- ^ Education, Vermont Department of (2009-04-30). "Directories : Vermont Supervisory Unions/Districts (O-R)". http://education.vermont.gov/new/html/directories/su_sd_O_R.html. Retrieved 2009-05-30.
- ^ Union, Orange East Supervisory. "Home Page". http://orangeeast.k12.vt.us/. Retrieved 2009-05-30.
- ^ a b Union, Orange North Supervisory. "ONSU Office Staff". http://www.onsu.org/administration/Central%20Office%20Staff. Retrieved 2009-05-30.
- ^ School, Orange Center (2009-05-16). "Message From The Principal". http://www.orangecenterschool.org/administration/Message_From_The_Principal. Retrieved 2009-05-30.
- ^ School, Washington Village. "Copy: principals message". http://www.washingtonvillageschool.org/Principal/principal_page. Retrieved 2009-05-30.
- ^ School, Williamstown Elementary. "homepage". http://www.williamstownelem.org/administration/principal/. Retrieved 2009-05-30.
- ^ School, Williamstown Middle High. "Williamstown Middle High School, Vermont". http://www.williamstownmhs.org/. Retrieved 2009-05-30.
- National Register of Historic Places: Orange County, Vermont
- The Political Graveyard: Orange County, Vermont
|Washington County||Caledonia County|
|Addison County||Grafton County, New Hampshire|
Orange County, Vermont
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Orange County, Vermont. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|