Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Penobscot County, Maine|
Location in the state of Maine
Maine's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Penobscot tribe|
3,556.14 sq mi (9,210 km²)
3,395.73 sq mi (8,795 km²)
160.41 sq mi (415 km²), 4.51%
45.3/sq mi (17.5/km²)
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Penobscot County is a county located in the U.S. state of Maine. For U.S. Census statistical purposes, it is part of the Bangor, Maine, New England County Metropolitan Area . As of the 2010 census, the population was 153,923. Its county seat is Bangor.
Penobscot County was established on 15 February 1816 from a portion of Hancock County.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 3,556.14 square miles (9,210.4 km2), of which 3,395.73 square miles (8,794.9 km2) (or 95.49%) is land and 160.41 square miles (415.5 km2) (or 4.51%) is water.
- Aroostook County, Maine - north
- Washington County, Maine - southeast
- Hancock County, Maine - south
- Waldo County, Maine - southwest
- Somerset County, Maine - west
- Piscataquis County, Maine - northwest
National protected areaEdit
As of the census of 2000, there were 144,919 people, 58,096 households, and 37,820 families residing in the county. The population density was 43 people per square mile (16/km²). There were 66,847 housing units at an average density of 20 per square mile (8/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.60% White, 0.49% Black or African American, 1.00% Native American, 0.70% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.23% from other races, and 0.96% from two or more races. 0.61% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 17.8% were of English, 17.3% United States or American, 14.0% French, 13.0% Irish and 6.7% French Canadian ancestry according to Census 2000. 95.8% spoke English and 2.3% French as their first language.
There were 58,096 households out of which 30.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.50% were married couples living together, 9.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.90% were non-families. 26.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the county the population was spread out with 22.80% under the age of 18, 11.30% from 18 to 24, 29.00% from 25 to 44, 23.80% from 45 to 64, and 13.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 95.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $34,274, and the median income for a family was $42,206. Males had a median income of $32,824 versus $23,346 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,801. About 9.70% of families and 13.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.00% of those under age 18 and 11.10% of those age 65 or over.
|Voter Registration and Party Enrollment as of August 2011|
Cities, towns and plantations Edit
Territories and locations Edit
Indian reservations Edit
- ^ "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/23/23019.html. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- ^ "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2012/CO-EST2012-alldata.html. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Registration and Party Enrollment Statistics as of August, 2011". Maine Bureau of Corporations. http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/elec/2011/20110817r-e-active.pdf.
- Penobscot County on Maine.gov
- "The Ancient Penobscot, or Panawanskek." Historical Magazine, February, 1872.
|Piscataquis County||Aroostook County|
Penobscot County, Maine
|Waldo County||Hancock County||Washington County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Penobscot County, Maine. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|