Peter Plante was christened on 27 December 1804 at St Nicholas, Nottingham. His parents were Thomas and Harriet Plante (c1773-). Peter's siblings were: Thomas Robert (1801), Holland (1802), John (1803), Henry (1804), Holland Pope (1807), Frederic (1808), Mary Ann (1812) and Thomas (1812) Plante.
On 11 August 1832 in Radford, Nottingham Peter Plante married Mary Raynes Smith (1810-1891), the daughter of William and Fanny Smith. They had the following children:
- Alfred Pope Plante (1833-)
- Rosalie Ada Plante (1835-)
- Frances Pope (c1838-)
- Neville Pope Plante (1838-) of New Zealand, mentioned as deceased in 1878.
- Holland Pope Plante (1840-) married Louise Brokhahne (-) in New York in 1890.
- Horace Pope (c1842-)
- Curtis Pope (c1843-)
- Thomas Crowther Plante (1844-) merchant, of New Zealand and Australia, married Isabella Guthrie.
- Blysset Raynes Plante (c1847-)
- Falconbridge Plante (c1848-)
- Cecil Waldegrave Plante (1852-1927)