Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Population||1,862 (Dec 2010)|
|- Density||52 /km2 (135 /sq mi)|
|Area||35.76 km2 (13.81 sq mi)|
|Elevation||930 m (3,051 ft)|
|Localities||Rüeggisberg (Mättiwil, Tromwil); Bütschel (Oberbütschel, Niederbütschel, Gschneit, Bungerten); Fultigen (Hinterfultigen, Vorderfultigen); Helgisried-Rohrbach (Helgisried, Rohrbach, Wiler, Schwanden, Brügglen, Schwand)|
|Surrounded by||Blumenstein, Därstetten, Kaufdorf, Niedermuhlern, Oberbalm, Riggisberg, Rümligen, Rüschegg, Rüti bei Riggisberg, Toffen, Wahlern|
|Website|| www.rueggisberg.ch |
Rüeggisberg has an area of 35.7 km2 (13.8 sq mi). Of this area, 64.8% is used for agricultural purposes, while 29.2% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 4.3% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (1.7%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
Rüeggisberg has a population (as of 31 December 2010) of 1,862. as of 2007, 3.4% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -7.3%. Most of the population (as of 2000) speaks German (97.6%), with Albanian being second most common ( 0.6%) and French being third ( 0.4%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 26.3% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 57% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 16.7%. In Rüeggisberg about 67.6% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Rüeggisberg has an unemployment rate of 1.11%. As of 2005, there were 388 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 153 businesses involved in this sector. 110 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 24 businesses in this sector. 244 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 45 businesses in this sector.
- Rüeggisberg Priory - The original foundation of uncertain date, made by Lütold of Rümligen, was turned into the first Cluniac house in the German-speaking world by Cuno of Siegburg and Ulrich of Zell in about 1072, when the first cells were built. Construction of the Romanesque church lasted from about 1100 to about 1185, of which there still remain the north transept and parts of the crossing tower. The priory was one of the most important monastic houses of Switzerland during the Middle Ages, but in the late medieval period decline set in, and in 1484 it was incorporated into the newly-built college of the Augustinian Canons of Bern Minster. The church was shut down in 1541 during the Reformation. The monastic buildings thereafter served as a source of building stone and partly as a barn.
- ^ a b Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Datenwürfel für Thema 01.2 - Bevölkerungsstand und -bewegung (German) accessed 29 September
- ^ Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- ^ a b Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 14-Jul-2009
- ^ Flüeler (1982). Kulturführer Schweiz. Zurich, CH: Ex Libris Verlag AG. pp. 307.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Rüeggisberg. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|