|Richland Parish, Louisiana|
Richland Parish Courthouse in Rayville
Location in the state of Louisiana
Louisiana's location in the U.S.
|Founded||September 29, 1868|
|Named for||Rich fertile land|
565 sq mi (1,462 km²)
558 sq mi (1,446 km²)
6 sq mi (16 km²), 1.07%
37/sq mi (14.18/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Richland Parish is home to the first parishwide public library in the State of Louisiana. The library was built in 1925. The Lambda Kappa Club of Rayville established the library. R.R. Rhymes donated the original building in memory of his wife, Nonnie Roark Rhymes. In 2008, Governor Bobby Jindal appointed Bibb Ingram, a granddaughter to Nonnie Rhymes, as a member of the Louisiana State Library Board.
The parish has a total area of 565 square miles (1,460 km2), of which, 558 square miles (1,450 km2) of it is land and 6 square miles (16 km2) of it (1.07%) is water.
- Morehouse Parish (north)
- West Carroll Parish & East Carroll Parish (northeast)
- Madison Parish (east)
- Franklin Parish (southeast)
- Caldwell Parish (southwest)
- Ouachita Parish (west)
|Morehouse Parish||West Carroll Parish and East Carroll Parish|
|Ouachita Parish||Madison Parish|
Richland Parish, Louisiana
|Caldwell Parish||Franklin Parish|
|Richland Parish Census Data|
As of the census of 2000, there were 20,981 people, 7,490 households, and 5,482 families residing in the parish. The population density was 38 people per square mile (15/km²). There were 8,335 housing units at an average density of 15 per square mile (6/km²). The racial makeup of the parish was 60.96% White, 38.01% Black or African American, 0.13% Native American, 0.18% Asian, 0.20% from other races, and 0.52% from two or more races. 1.08% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 7,490 households out of which 34.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.20% were married couples living together, 18.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.80% were non-families. 24.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the parish the population was spread out with 27.30% under the age of 18, 9.90% from 18 to 24, 26.80% from 25 to 44, 21.00% from 45 to 64, and 15.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 88.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.30 males.
The median income for a household in the parish was $23,668, and the median income for a family was $29,075. Males had a median income of $28,471 versus $18,587 for females. The per capita income for the parish was $12,479. About 23.10% of families and 27.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 39.50% of those under age 18 and 20.90% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and townsEdit
Public schools in Richland Parish are operated by the Richland Parish School Board.
Notable natives and residentsEdit
- Jamar Adcock, a politician and banker, was born in Richland Parish
- Elvin Hayes, NBA Hall of Fame basketball player, was born in Rayville.
- Ernie Ladd, a football player/professional wrestler, was born in Rayville.
- Francis C. Thompson served in the Louisiana House of Representatives from 1975 until 2008 and now in the Louisiana State Senate.
- Keith Munyan, Jr., commercial photographer in North Hollywood.
- Tim McGraw, country musician, was born in Richland Parish.
- ^ United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Richland Parish, Louisiana. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|