Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Rock County, Wisconsin|
Location in the state of Wisconsin
Wisconsin's location in the U.S.
726 sq mi (1,880 km²)
720 sq mi (1,865 km²)
6 sq mi (16 km²), 0.79%
212/sq mi (82/km²)
Rock County is a county in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. It is included in the Janesville, Wisconsin, Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of 2010, the population was 160,331. Its county seat is Janesville.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 726 square miles (1,880 km2), of which 720 square miles (1,900 km2) is land and 6 square miles (16 km2) (0.79%) is water.
Rock County was created in 1836 as a territorial county on December 7, 1836 from Milwaukee County and fully organized Feb. 19, 1839. The county is named for the Rock River, which bisects the county from north to south.
- Green County - west
- Dane County - north
- Jefferson County - northeast
- Walworth County - east
- Boone County, Illinois - south
- Winnebago County, Illinois - south
|WI Counties 1900-1990|
As of the census of 2000, there were 152,307 people, 58,617 households, and 40,387 families residing in the county. The population density was 211 people per square mile (82/km²). There were 62,187 housing units at an average density of 86 per square mile (33/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 91.01% White, 4.63% Black or African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.78% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.77% from other races, and 1.50% from two or more races. 3.91% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 32.8% were of German, 13.0% Norwegian, 10.1% Irish, 7.5% English and 5.5% American ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 58,617 households out of which 33.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.50% were married couples living together, 10.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.10% were non-families. 25.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the county, the population was spread out with 26.50% under the age of 18, 8.60% from 18 to 24, 29.80% from 25 to 44, 22.30% from 45 to 64, and 12.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 97.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.10 males.
- Avon (town)
- Beloit (town)
- Beloit (city)
- Bradford (town)
- Brodhead (partial) (city)
- Center (town)
- Clinton (town)
- Clinton (village)
- Edgerton (city)
- Evansville (city)
- Footville (village)
- Fulton (town)
- Harmony (town)
- Janesville (city)
- Janesville (town)
- Johnstown (town)
- La Prairie (town)
- Lima (town)
- Magnolia (town)
- Milton (town)
- Milton (city)
- Newark (town)
- Orfordville (village)
- Plymouth (town)
- Porter (town)
- Rock (town)
- Spring Valley (town)
- Turtle (town)
- Union (town)
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Rock County, origin of place name (Dictionary of Wisconsin History)
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ Wisconsin Department of Administration, "List of Municipalities by Alpha Order".
- The History of Rock County, Wisconsin. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1879.
- Brown, William F. Rock County, Wisconsin: A New History... Vol. 1, Chicago: Cooper, 1908.
- Brown, William F. Rock County, Wisconsin: A New History... Vol. 2, Chicago: Cooper, 1908.
- Sayre, David F. "Early Life in Southern Wisconsin", Wisconsin Magazine of History, vol. 3, no. 4 (June 1920), pp. 420–427.
- Walterman, Thomas. There Stands "Old Rock": Rock County, Wisconsin and the War to Preserve the Union. Friendship, Wis.: New Past Press, 2001. ISBN 0938627503
- Rock County
- Rock County Historical Society
- Rock County Genealogical Society
- Beloit Janesville Symphony - Rock County
|Dane County||Jefferson County|
|Green County||Walworth County|
Rock County, Wisconsin
|Winnebago County, Illinois and Boone County, Illinois|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Rock County, Wisconsin. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|