Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Rooks County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Kansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1867|
895.36 sq mi (2,319 km²)
888.34 sq mi (2,301 km²)
7.02 sq mi (18 km²), 0.78%
6.0/sq mi (2.3/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Rooks County (standard abbreviation: RO) is a county located in the U.S. state of Kansas. As of the 2010 census, the county population was 5,181. The county seat is Stockton and the largest city is Plainville. The county was named for Private John C. Rooks of the 11th Kansas Infantry who died at the Battle of Prairie Grove near Fayetteville, Arkansas, during the Civil War.
Law and governmentEdit
Following amendment to the Kansas Constitution in 1986, the county remained a prohibition, or "dry", county until 2000, when voters approved the sale of alcoholic liquor by the individual drink with a 30% food sales requirement.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 895.36 square miles (2,319.0 km2), of which 888.34 square miles (2,300.8 km2) (or 99.22%) is land and 7.02 square miles (18.2 km2) (or 0.78%) is water.
- Phillips County (north)
- Smith County (northeast)
- Osborne County (east)
- Ellis County (south)
- Trego County (southwest)
- Graham County (west)
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,685 people, 2,362 households, and 1,556 families residing in the county. The population density was 6 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 2,758 housing units at an average density of 3 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.13% White, 1.13% Black or African American, 0.42% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.37% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. 1.06% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,362 households out of which 29.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.40% were married couples living together, 7.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.10% were non-families. 31.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.32 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.20% under the age of 18, 6.40% from 18 to 24, 25.50% from 25 to 44, 21.50% from 45 to 64, and 21.50% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 98.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,457, and the median income for a family was $36,931. Males had a median income of $26,794 versus $18,389 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,588. About 7.30% of families and 9.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.70% of those under age 18 and 7.40% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns Edit
Name and population (2010 census):
Rooks County is divided into twelve townships. None of the cities within the county are considered governmentally independent, and all figures for the townships include those of the cities. In the following table, the population center is the largest city (or cities) included in that township's population total, if it is of a significant size.
/km² (/sq mi)
| Land area|
km² (sq mi)
| Water area|
km² (sq mi)
|Water %||Geographic coordinates|
|Township 1||71203||280||1 (3)||276 (107)||1 (0)||0.23%|
|Township 2||71207||382||1 (4)||278 (107)||1 (0)||0.25%|
|Township 3||71211||Stockton||1,489||8 (21)||184 (71)||0 (0)||0.14%|
|Township 4||71215||27||0 (1)||93 (36)||0 (0)||0.12%|
|Township 5||71219||74||0 (1)||276 (107)||0 (0)||0.05%|
|Township 6||71224||60||0 (1)||173 (67)||13 (5)||7.13%|
|Township 7||71229||218||2 (6)||91 (35)||1 (0)||0.93%|
|Township 8||71234||344||4 (10)||94 (36)||0 (0)||0.09%|
|Township 9||71239||51||1 (1)||94 (36)||0 (0)||0.05%|
|Township 10||71243||197||1 (3)||187 (72)||0 (0)||0.08%|
|Township 11||71246||Plainville||2,380||9 (22)||279 (108)||1 (0)||0.44%|
|Township 12||71249||183||1 (2)||277 (107)||1 (0)||0.24%|
Unified school districts Edit
Information on this and other counties in Kansas
- List of counties in Kansas
- List of Kansas county name etymologies
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Kansas
- Kansas locations by per capita income
Other information for Kansas
- List of cities in Kansas
- List of unified school districts in Kansas
- List of colleges and universities in Kansas
- ^ "2010 County Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved April 7, 2011.
- ^ Kansas Place-Names,John Rydjord, University of Oklahoma Press, 1972, ISBN 0-8061-0994-7
- ^ "Map of Wet and Dry Counties". Alcoholic Beverage Control, Kansas Department of Revenue. November 2006. http://www.ksrevenue.org/abcwetdrymap.htm. Retrieved 2007-12-26.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
- Official websites
- General county information
- Local History and Genealogy
- County Level Data
- Rooks County Map, KDOT
- Kansas Highway Map, KDOT
- Kansas Railroad Map, KDOT
- Kansas School District Boundary Map, KSDE
|Phillips County||Smith County|
|Graham County||Osborne County|
Rooks County, Kansas
|Trego County||Ellis County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Rooks County, Kansas. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|