Saharsa is one of the thirty-eight districts of Bihar, India. Saharsa town is the administrative headquarters of this district. Saharsa district is a part of a larger territory, the Kosi Division and it became a district on 1 April 1954 and subsequently has become smaller with other districts being carved form it, most notably Madhepura in 1981. The area of the district is 1,696 km2. Total population is around 1132413 of which Rural population is 1052264 and Urban population is 80149.
Saharsa district is surrounded on the west by the river Kosi. Koshi boasts an abundance of fish and makhana. Saharsa is famous for its varieties of Mango's and Summer Berry known as Litchi.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Saharsa one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 36 districts in Bihar currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
According to the 2011 census Saharsa district has a population of 1,897,102, roughly equal to the nation of Lesotho or the US state of West Virginia. This gives it a ranking of 247th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 1,125 inhabitants per square kilometre (2,910 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 25.79 %. Saharsa has a sex ratio of 906 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 54.57 %.
- ^ "District-specific Literates and Literacy Rates, 2001". Registrar General, India, Ministry of Home Affairs. http://www.educationforallinindia.com/page157.html. Retrieved 2010-10-05.
- ^ Srivastava, Dayawanti et al. (ed.) (2010). "States and Union Territories: Bihar: Government". India 2010: A Reference Annual (54th ed.). New Delhi, India: Additional Director General, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India), Government of India. pp. 1118–1119. ISBN 978-81-230-1617-7.
- ^ "Island Directory Tables: Islands by Land Area". United Nations Environment Program. 1998-02-18. http://islands.unep.ch/Tiarea.htm. Retrieved 2011-10-11. "Bering Island 1,660km2"
- ^ a b Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme". National Institute of Rural Development. http://www.nird.org.in/brgf/doc/brgf_BackgroundNote.pdf. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html. Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Lesotho 1,924,886"
- ^ "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/apportionment-pop-text.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "West Virginia 1,852,994"
|Madhubani district||Supaul district|
|Darbhanga district||Madhepura district|
|Bhagalpur: Banka | Bhagalpur|
|Darbhanga: Begusarai | Darbhanga | Madhubani | Samastipur|
|Kosi: Madhepura | Saharsa | Supaul|
|Magadh: Arwal | Aurangabad | Gaya | Jehanabad | Nawada|
|Munger: Jamui | Khagaria | Munger | Lakhisarai | Sheikhpura|
|Patna: Bhojpur | Buxar | Kaimur | Patna | Rohtas | Nalanda|
|Purnia: Araria | Katihar | Kishanganj | Purnia|
|Saran: Gopalganj | Saran | Siwan|
|Tirhut: East Champaran | Muzaffarpur | Sheohar | Sitamarhi | Vaishali | West Champaran|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Saharsa district. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|