Sarah Kershaw (1843-1922)
She was born in 1843 according to her marriage certificate.
By 1850 the family was living in Manhattan and she appears in the census with the following siblings:
- Mary E. Kershaw (1835-?)
- Isaac Kershaw (1840-aft1872)
- Anna Augusta Kershaw (1841-1931) who was born in Glen Cove and married Charles Frederick Lindauer (1836-1921)
- Amy Kershaw (1847-aft1872)
- Peter Kershaw (1849-bef1872)
The family then moved to Somerville, New Jersey by 1865, when she married, and they show up in bank records again in Somerville in 1872.
She married Matthew Williamson (1824-1884) around 1865. He was 19 years older then she was.
Somerville, New JerseyEdit
In 1880 they were living in Somerville, New Jersey. Matthew was working as a butcher.
- Cornelius M. Williamson (1867-?)
- George Williamson (1869-?)
- Ellen M. Williamson (1873-?)
- Albert Dunn Williamson (1874-1943) who married Anna Mary George (1877-1968)
Death of husbandEdit
He died on March 20, 1884 in Bridgewater, New Jersey.
She died on February 17, 1922.
She was buried at Fairview Cemetery, Garwood, New Jersey.
Memories about Sarah YoungEdit
- June Nicholls writes in 2010: "Sarah died on February 17, 1922, at the home of her son, Albert Dunn Williamson of Garwood, NJ, who was my grandfather. Her death certificate lists her as Sarah Williamson as do cemetery records, and she is buried in a grave marked with a foot stone in the George Williamson plot in Fairview Cemetery, Westfield, NJ. Her death certificate shows her father as Chas Kershaw, which I interpreted to be Charles Kershaw, her age as 79 years and 1 month and her birthplace as Yonkers, NY. I have been searching in vain for years for Charles Kershaw. When I was a young girl in the late 1930's, I can remember my grandmother, who was the daughter-in-law of Sarah Williamson, reminiscing about Grandma Young, and I have assumed that Grandma Young was probably Sarah's mother, and that Young was her maiden name."
- Sarah Kershaw (1843-1922) at Findagrave
- Sarah Kershaw (1843-1922) at Conover Genealogy "Sarah Kershaw was born in 1843 at New York. She was the daughter of Abraham Kershaw and Sarah Olderen. Sarah married Matthew Williamson, son of Cornelius Mathias Williamson and Catherine Van Houten Deats, c 1865. Sarah and Matthew appeared on the census of 10. Jun. 1880 at Bridgewater Twp., Somerset County, New Jersey. Sarah married William W. Young on 27. Aug. 1885 at Plainfield, Union County, New Jersey. Sarah Kershaw died in 1922 at Somerville, Somerset County, New Jersey."