Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Satu Mare County
Județul Satu Mare
|— County —|
|• Total||4,418 km2 (1,706 sq mi)|
|• Density||83/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 261 or (+40) 361|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-SM|
Satu Mare County (Romanian: Judeţul Satu Mare, pronounced [ˌsatu ˈmare]; Hungarian: Szatmár megye) is a county (judeţ) of Romania. The capital city is Satu Mare. Besides Romanians (58.8% of the population), Satu Mare features a significant ethnic minority of Hungarians (35.2%).
Hungarians mostly reside along the border with Hungary, but some are also scattered throughout the whole county.
This county has a total area of 4,418 square kilometres (1,706 sq mi).
In the north are the Oaş Mountains, part of the Eastern Carpathians. This makes up around 17% of the area. The remainder is hills, forming 20% of the area, and plains. The western county takes up the Eastern part of the Pannonian Plain.
- Maramureș County in the East.
- Hungary in the West - Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County.
- Ukraine in the North - Zakarpattia Oblast.
- Bihor County and Sălaj County in the South.
It is a member of the Carpathian euroregion.
The predominant industries in the county are:
- Textiles industry.
- Machine and automotive components.
- Food industry.
- Wood and furniture industry.
The main tourist attractions in the county are:
- The "Oaș Country", with its strong Romanian folk traditions, on the North Eastern side of the county.
- The Oaș Mountains.
- The cities of Satu Mare and Carei.
- Tășnad Resort.
- The fortifications from Ardud and Medieșu Aurit
Satu Mare County has 2 municipalities, 4 towns and 59 communes:
- ^ INSSE Statistic
- ^ The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia după etnie"
- ^ Structura Etno-demografică a României
- ^ Erdély etnikai és felekezeti statisztikája
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 şi 2002"