4th Chapman Baronet of Killua Castle
Vital Statistics Edit
- Son of Sir Thomas Chapman (1756-1837) and Margaret Anne Fetherstone (1788-1871) or Fetherstonhaugh
- 1810-Feb-09 : Birth at Killua Castle
- 1849-Jul-22 : Marriage to Maria Sarah Fetherstone (1827-1898) - daughter of Richard Steele Fetherstonhaugh, she was also a cousin to Sir Thomas - his mother and her father were siblings.
- 1853-May-17 : Becomes 4th Baronet after his brother, Sir Montagu Lowther Chapman (1808-1853) is declared lost at Sea near Australia
- 1888-Nov-03: Death at South Dublin, Ireland (see Ireland Civil Records - 4th Quarter 1888)
Sir Benjamin James Chapman, 4th Bt. graduated from , in 1830 with a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.). He was a practising Barrister in 1835.
He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) for County Westmeath between 1841 and 1847.
He succeeded to the title of 4th Baronet Chapman, of St. Lucy's, co. Westmeath on 17 May 1853. Probably when his brother Montagu, the third Baronet, is declared lost at sea from an accident earlier.
He held the office of Sheriff of County Westmeath in 1856.
He held the office of Custos Rotulorum of County Westmeath between 28 March 1883 and 1888.
He held the office of Lord-Lieutenant of County Westmeath between 28 March 1883 and 1888.
Children of Benjamin Chapman and Maria Fetherston Edit
- Dora Marguerite Chapman (1850-1921) - Dates are approximate - she is mentioned riding a pony in local story.
- Maria Chapman (1852-98) - No verification available - possible duplication of Dora?
- Sir Montagu Richard Chapman (1853-1907) 5th Baronet - High Sheriff, J.P., Killua Castle, Clonmellon, Co. Westmeath and married his cousin - Carolina Chapman
- Sir Benjamin Rupert Chapman (1865-1914) 6th Baronet -
- Descendants of Captain Benjamin Chapman
- The Peerage #21788
- Burke, John. A General and heraldic dictionary of the peerage and baronetage of the British Empire. London: H. Colburn and R. Bentley. pp. 229.
- George Edward Cokayne, editor, The Complete Baronetage, 5 volumes (no date (c. 1900); reprint, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 1983), volume V, page 405-406.
- http://www.featherstone-society.com/Indexes/ireland/AJF/project/Irishdata-p/p2.htm#i178 - For further research - Featherstone Family Line.