| St George|
Main street of St George
|Elevation:||200.8 m (659 ft)|
|LGA:||Shire of Balonne|
St George is a town of approximately 2,400 people in Queensland, Australia. The town is 390 kilometres (240 mi) due west of Brisbane and the Gold Coast and sits just inside the region of South West Queensland, Australia. It is the administrative centre for the Shire of Balonne. It was named by Major Thomas Mitchell who crossed the Balonne River on St George's Day, 23 April 1846. At the 2006 census, St George had a population of 2,410. It sits at the junction of several highways including the Castlereagh Highway, the Moonie Highway, the Carnarvon Highway and the Balonne Highway. The only crossing of the Balonne River is the Andrew Nixon Bridge on the Balonne Highway. St George is on the Balonne River which is reputedly an excellent fishing site for fish such as Yellowbelly and Murray Cod.
The town has been affected in low lying areas by severe flooding on at least three occasions from 2010 to 2012.
Notable residents Edit
Flooding once again occurred in February 2012. When there was a possibility of the river reaching 15 metres, about 2000 residents were mandatorily evacuated on 4 and 5 February to evacuation centres in Dalby and Brisbane. A temporary levee was built in St George on the morning of 5 February (Sunday). The Balonne River reached a height of 13.85 metres on Tuesday 7 February.
Local events Edit
The St George show is celebrated every year over the Labour Day long weekend (weekend of the first Monday in May), Everyone is encouraged to go and locals have a great time sharing stories at the bar and watching the rodeo.
See also Edit
- ^ a b Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "St George (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=UCL350000&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- ^ "Locals evacuated ahead of 120-year flood". ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). 5 March 2010. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/05/2837162.htm. Retrieved 20 March 2010.
- ^ a b "Mandatory evacuations ordered for St George as 15m flood predicted". News.com.au. http://www.news.com.au/national/mitchell-braces-for-flooding-as-maranoa-river-rises-after-heavy-rain/story-e6frfkvr-1226262923992. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- ^ a b Caruana, Patrick; Paull, Nathan (7 February 2012). "Flood-hit Qld resident wait in frustration". Sydney Morning Herald. http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/floodhit-qld-resident-wait-in-frustration-20120207-1r28s.html. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- ^ "St George". Centre for the Government of Queensland. http://queenslandplaces.com.au/st-george. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: St George
- St George's New Website 2006
- Balonne Shire Council
- Fairfax Digital — St. George
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at St George, Queensland. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|