|Stevens County, Kansas|
Stevens County Court House in Hugoton
Location in the state of Kansas
Kansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||August 3, 1886|
|Named for||Thaddeus Stevens|
727.71 sq mi (1,885 km²)
727.53 sq mi (1,884 km²)
0.18 sq mi (0 km²), 0.02%
7.4/sq mi (2.9/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Stevens County (standard abbreviation: SV) is a county located in the U.S. state of Kansas. As of the 2010 census, the county population was 5,724. Its county seat is Hugoton. The county is named for the Reconstruction era Pennsylvania politician Thaddeus Stevens.
Law and governmentEdit
Although the Kansas Constitution was amended in 1986 to allow the sale of alcoholic liquor by the individual drink with the approval of voters, Stevens County has remained a prohibition, or "dry", county.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 727.71 square miles (1,884.8 km2), of which 727.53 square miles (1,884.3 km2) (or 99.98%) is land and 0.18 square miles (0.47 km2) (or 0.02%) is water.
Adjacent counties Edit
- Grant County (north)
- Haskell County (northeast)
- Seward County (east)
- Texas County, Oklahoma (south)
- Morton County (west)
- Stanton County (northwest)
National protected areaEdit
- Cimarron National Grassland (part)
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,463 people, 1,988 households, and 1,457 families residing in the county. The population density was 8 people per square mile (3/km²). There were 2,265 housing units at an average density of 3 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 83.01% White, 0.93% Black or African American, 0.93% Native American, 0.24% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 13.25% from other races, and 1.61% from two or more races. 21.73% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,988 households out of which 38.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.10% were married couples living together, 7.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.70% were non-families. 24.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.27.
In the county the population was spread out with 31.20% under the age of 18, 8.30% from 18 to 24, 27.80% from 25 to 44, 19.40% from 45 to 64, and 13.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 95.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.50 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $41,830, and the median income for a family was $49,063. Males had a median income of $36,525 versus $22,803 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,814. About 8.30% of families and 10.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.10% of those under age 18 and 4.70% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns Edit
Name and population (2004 estimate):
Stevens County is divided into six townships. None of the cities within the county are considered governmentally independent, and all figures for the townships include those of the cities. In the following table, the population center is the largest city (or cities) included in that township's population total, if it is of a significant size.
/km² (/sq mi)
| Land area|
km² (sq mi)
| Water area|
km² (sq mi)
|Water %||Geographic coordinates|
|Banner||04125||164||1 (2)||277 (107)||0 (0)||0%|
|Center||12200||4,131||15 (38)||280 (108)||0 (0)||0.02%|
|Harmony||30150||143||1 (1)||280 (108)||0 (0)||0%|
|Moscow||48625||711||2 (4)||442 (171)||0 (0)||0.09%|
|Voorhees||74200||145||0 (1)||349 (135)||0 (0)||0%|
|West Center||76800||169||1 (2)||257 (99)||0 (0)||0%|
Unified school districts Edit
- Moscow USD 209
- Hugoton USD 210
Information on this and other counties in Kansas
- List of counties in Kansas
- List of Kansas county name etymologies
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Kansas
- Kansas locations by per capita income
Other information for Kansas
- List of cities in Kansas
- List of unified school districts in Kansas
- List of colleges and universities in Kansas
- ^ a b Knapp, Tom (2009-04-03). "Stevens to honor Stevens, Town was named for famous legislator, who got it a post office". Intelligencer Journal. http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/235847. Retrieved 2009-05-09.
- ^ "2010 County Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved April 7, 2011.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Map of Wet and Dry Counties". Alcoholic Beverage Control, Kansas Department of Revenue. November 2004. http://www.ksrevenue.org/abcwetdrymap.htm. Retrieved 2007-01-21.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
- Official website
- General information on Stevens County
- Stevens County Map, KDOT
- Kansas Highway Map, KDOT
- Kansas Railroad Map, KDOT
- Kansas School District Boundary Map, KSDE
|Stanton County||Grant County||Haskell County|
|Morton County||Seward County|
Stevens County, Kansas
|Texas County, Oklahoma||Texas County, Oklahoma||Texas County, Oklahoma|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Stevens County, Kansas. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|