| ‡ General
- <<insults>>, page 115, quoting this anonymous epitaph from the Winchester Cathedral yard:
- In memory of
- THOMAS THATCHER
- A grenadier of the Ninth Regiment
- of Hants Militia, who died of a
- violent fever, contracted by drinking
- small beer when hot, the 12th of May,
- 1769, aged 26 years....
- Here sleeps in peace a Hampshire Grenadier
- Who caught his death by drinking cold small beer.
- Soldiers, be wise from his untimely fall,
- And when ye're hot, drink strong or none at all.