Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|— County —|
|• Type||County Council|
|• President of the County Council||Titu Bojin (PSD)|
|• Prefect||Eugen Dogariu |
|• Total||8,697 km2 (3,358 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 census)|
|• Density||78/km2 (200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Area code(s)||(+40) 256 or (+40) 356|
Timiș (Hungarian: Temes, Serbian: Tamiš (Тамиш), Banat Bulgarian: Timiš) is a county (județ) of western Romania, in the historical region Banat, with the county seat at Timișoara. It is the largest county in Romania in terms of land area.
The name of the county comes from the river Timiş, known in Roman antiquity as river Tibisis or Tibiscus.
The county is also part of the Danube-Kris-Mures-Tisa euroregion.
In 2000, it had a population of 684,506 and the population density was 79/km².
In 2006, it had a population of 685,901 and the population density was 79.8/km².
This county has a total area of 8,697 km² (3,6% of Romania). It is the largest county in Romania.
In the eastern extremity are the Poiana Ruscăi Mountains from the Southern Carpathians group. Elevations decrease to the west, passing through the Lipova Hills to the Western Romanian Plain, the eastern part of the Pannonian Plain.
- Hunedoara County to the east.
- Hungary to the northwest - Csongrád County.
- Arad County to the north.
- Caraş-Severin County to the south.
- Serbia to the southwest - Vojvodina Autonomous Province - North Banat District and Central Banat District.
Timiş County has one of the most dynamic economies in Romania, being a region with among the highest ratings of foreign investment due to its tradition and its position.
The predominant industries in the county are:
- Mechanical manufacturing
- Electronic components
The main tourist attractions in the county are:
There are also a lot of places for hunting and fishing.
- Ana Blandiana
- Béla Lugosi
- Lavinia Miloşovici
- Traian Vuia
- Johnny Weissmuller
- Tiberiu Brediceanu
- Iosif Constantin Drăgan
- Béla Bartók
- Dositej Obradović
- Nikolaus Lenau
- Herta Müller
Timiş County has 2 municipalities, 8 towns and 89 communes
- Sânnicolau Mare - population: 13,298 (as of 2004)
- Jimbolia - population: 11,605 (as of 2004)
- Recaș - population: 8,188 (as of 2004)
- Buziaș - population: 7,738 (as of 2004)
- Făget - population: 7,356 (as of 2004)
- Deta - population: 6,582 (as of 2004)
- Gătaia - population: 6,101 (as of 2004)
- Ciacova - population: 4,939 (as of 2004)
- ^ http://www.prefecturatimis.ro/prezentare.php?nivel=3
- ^ "Population at 20 October 2011" (in Romanian). INSSE. 5 July 2013. http://www.recensamantromania.ro/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/sR_TAB_3.xlsx. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia după etnie"
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 şi 2002"
Google earth file (kmz) with information about the Timis Bega catchment and the 2005 flood event Download the kmz file
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Timiș County. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|