Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Tiruchchirapalli District, Trichy District
|— District —|
|Kaveri river bisecting Tiruchirapalli and Srirangam|
|Talukas||Lalgudi, Manachanallur, Manapparai, Musiri, Srirangam, Thiruverumpur, Thottiyam, Thuraiyur, Tiruchirapalli.|
|• Collector||Jayashree Muralidharan, IAS|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||[[ISO 3166-2:IN|]]|
Tiruchirapalli District is located along the Kaveri River in Tamil Nadu, India. The main town in Tiruchirapalli District is the city of Tiruchirapalli, also known as Trichy. During the British Raj, Tiruchirapalli was known as Trichinopoly, and was a district of the Madras Presidency; it was renamed upon India's declaration of independence in 1947.
Tiruchirapalli district lies at the heart of Tamil Nadu. The district has an area of 4,404 square kilometers. It is bounded in the north by Salem district, in the northwest by Namakkal district, in the northeast by Perambalur district and Ariyalur district, in the east by Thanjavur District, in the southeast by Pudukkottai district, in the south by Madurai district and Sivagangai district, in the southwest by Dindigul district and, in the west by Karur district. Kaveri river flows through the length of the district and is the principal source of irrigation and water supply.
|Religions in Tiruchirapalli|
According to the 2011 census Tiruchirapalli district has a population of 2,713,858, roughly equal to the nation of Kuwait or the US state of Nevada. This gives it a ranking of 146th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 602 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,560 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 12.22%. Tiruchirappalli has a sex ratio of 1013 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 83.56%.
According to the 2011 provisional population results, the district has a population of 2,713,858. The density is 602 persons per km2. The district has a literacy of 83.6%, higher than the state's average.
Tamil is the principal language spoken and Tamils are the predominant linguistic group in the district. Considerable amount of Sri Lankan Tamils are also found in certain pockets of Tiruchirapalli. Hindus formed the majority of the population at 84.39% of the population followed by Christians at 9.02%, Muslims at 6.46% and others at 0.12%.
Tiruchirapalli District consists of 9 Taluks:
Tiruchirapalli District consists of the following urban centres:
- Trichy city
- Manapparai town
- Thuraiyur town
- Thuvakudi town
- Lalgudi town panchayat
- Manachanallur town panchayat
- Musiri town panchayat
- Thottiyam town panchayat
- Kolli Hills (Kollimalai) tourist town
- Uppiliapuram Town panchayat
- Bharath Heavy Electronics Limited BHEL
- Boiler Manufacturing Industries
- Cement Factories
- Light and heavy engineering
- Leather Tanneries (E. I. Leather)
- Food processing Industries
- Sugar Mills
- (Traditional) Cigar Making (village) Industries.
- Hosiery and garments (to a small extent)
Natural resources and water bodiesEdit
- River Cauvery
- River Kollidam
Places to visit in Tiruchirappalli District.
- Srirangam Ranganathaswamy Temple
- Thiruvanai koil Shiva temple
- Vayalur Murugan Temple
- Kulumandi Amman Temple,Puthur-Sholanganallur
- Samayapuram Mariamman Temple
- Vekkaliamman Temple, Woriyur
- Rock Fort and Uchipillaiyar Temple
- Tolgate Utthamar Koil Temple
- Tirupattur Bramha Temple
- Pachai malai
- Kolli malai
The district has a large cattle and poultry population.
- Rice (vast tracts)
- Sugarcane (vast tracts)
- Cotton (small tracts)
- ^ www.tn.gov.in
- ^ "Tamil Nadu Census - Religions". Tamil Nadu Govt.. http://www.census.tn.nic.in/religion.aspx. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- ^ a b c d e f "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html. Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Kuwait 2,595,62"
- ^ "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/apportionment-pop-text.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "Nevada 2,700,551"
- ^ 2011 provisional population totals
- ^ 
|Namakkal district||Salem district|| Perambalur district |
|Karur district||Thanjavur District|
| Dindigul district |
|Sivaganga district||Pudukkottai district|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Tiruchirappalli district. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|