Tomas Baranauskas was born 12 September 1973 in Kaunas, Kaunas District, Lithuania .
Tomas Baranauskas (born on September 12, 1973 in Kaunas) is a Lithuanian historian specializing in the history of medieval Lithuania. He is the author of the book "The Formation of the Lithuanian State".
Baranauskas spent his youth in Žeimelis and Anykščiai. In 1998, he graduated from the Faculty of History at the Vilnius University. Since September 1996 he works in the Lithuanian Institute of History.
At the end of May 2000, he published The Formation of the Lithuanian State ("Lietuvos valstybės ištakos"). In the book Baranauskas argued that the Grand Duchy of Lithuania formed earlier than generally accepted; i.e. that the state was founded before King Mindaugas. The book received mixed reviews from the academics.
Since June 22, 2000, Baranauskas maintains the largest site on the medieval history of Lithuania on the Internet – "Medieval Lithuania". Since March 2003 he also administers the official website of the Lithuanian Institute of History.
- Lietuvos valstybės ištakos, Vilnius, 2000, 317 p. ISBN 5-415-01495-0. - Summary: The Formation of the Lithuanian State
- Vorutos pilis, Vilnius, 2001, 16 p. (together with Gintautas Zabiela) ISBN 9986-23-087-X.
- Lietuvos istorijos kalendorius. 2002, Vilnius, 2001. ISBN 9986-34-086-1.
- Lietuvos istorijos bibliografija. 1998, Vilnius, 2005, 333 p. ISSN 1392-981X.
- Anykščių medinė pilis, Anykščiai, 2005, 16 p.
- Information about T: Baranauskas Archeology Departament of Lithuanian History Institute
- Medieval Lithuania Medieval history of Lithuania