Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Vidisha district lies on the Vindhyachal Plateau off the main Vindhyachal Range. The Plateau slopes from south to north and is drained by a number of rivers – the Betwa, the Bina and the Sindh. These rivers flow between spur fanges of the Vindhyachal Range, that spread out on the Malwa Plateau.
The district lies between 230 20’ and 240 22' north latitudes, and 770 16’ and 780 18’ east longitudes. It covers an area of 7,371 km2.
The district was created as "Bhilsa District" in 1904 by joining the tehsils of Vidisha (also known as Bhilsa) and Basoda, but not Basoda State, which were then part of Gwalior state. After India's independence in 1947, the former princely state of Gwalior became part of Madhya Bharat state, which was formed in 1948. The Bhilsa District was enlarged in 1949 by the addition of the small princely state of Kurwai State. The district took its present form in 1956, when Madhya Bharat state, Bhopal State, and the tehsil of Sironj, then part of Rajasthan state and previously part of the princely state of Tonk, were both merged into Madhya Pradesh state. Sironj tehsil and the small pargana of Piklone from Bhopal state were merged into Vidisha District.
According to the 2011 census Vidisha District has a population of 1,458,212, roughly equal to the nation of Swaziland or the US state of Hawaii. This gives it a ranking of 341st in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 198 inhabitants per square kilometre (510 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 20.03%. Vidisha has a sex ratio of 897 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 72.08%.
- ^ a b "Vidisha". mponline. http://www.mponline.in/Profile/districts/Vidisha.asp. Retrieved 2010-08-19.
- ^ a b c "Vidisha". District administration. http://www.vidisha.nic.in/. Retrieved 2010-08-19.
- ^ a b c d e f "Vidisha District Population Census 2011, Madhya Pradesh literacy sex ratio and density". Census Organisation of India. 2011. Archived from the original on 3 January 2013. http://www.census2011.co.in/census/district/310-vidisha.html.
- ^ US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html. Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Swaziland 1,370,424"
- ^ "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/apportionment-pop-text.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "Hawaii 1,360,301"
|Guna district||Ashoknagar district|
|Bhopal district||Raisen district|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Vidisha district. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
|This article related to a location in Madhya Pradesh is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|