Voorhout is a town and former municipality in the western Netherlands, in the province of South Holland. The former municipality covered an area of 12.59 km² (4.86 mile²) of which 0.33 km² (0.13 mile²) is covered by water, and had a population of 14,792 in 2004. Together with Sassenheim and Warmond, it became part of the Teylingen municipality on 1 January 2006. Voorhout is located in an area called the "Dune and Bulb Region" (Duin- en Bollenstreek).
'For hundreds of years Voorhout was just a dot on the map. In 1988 Voorhout celebrated its thousand years of existence. The exact year is not known, but it is sure that it's early name was Foranholte, and it lay in a big woody area and stretched from Lisse to Oegstgeest and from Katwijk to Sassenheim. Qua area it could compete with Leiden. Voorhout had few inhabitants, only a few hundred, mostly farmers. There was no real village centre, not until a few years before the 19th century.... '
Born in VoorhoutEdit
- Herman Boerhaave (31 December 1668 - 23 September 1738) botanist, humanist and physician of European fame
- Edwin van der Sar (29 October 1970), football player (goalkeeper)
- Rob van Dijk (15 January 1969), football player (goalkeeper)
- Job Musters
- Karlijn Kranenburg, a clay artist well known for a big contribution to the production of claylike erasers.
Lived in VoorhoutEdit
- Truus van Aalten (Arnhem, 2 August 1910 - Warmond, 27 June 1999) actress, she ran a souvenir import/export business in Voorhout after 1954, after the Nazis ended her career as a film comedienne in Germany.
- Job Musters, football player, started his career at FC Foreholte.
- E.M. Uhlenbeck (Den Haag, 9 August 1913 - Voorhout, 27 May 2003), linguistic
- Joris Schouten (Blokker, 23 September 1926), politician
- Chiara Tissen (5 March 1964), actress and writer
- Jacqueline of Bavaria (Le Quesnoy, 16 July 1401 – Slot Teylingen, 9 October 1436), Countess of Holland. She has lived for a few years in Slot Teylingen.
- Frank van Borssele (1395–1470), Stadholder (Governor) of Holland and Zeeland provinces, Count of Oostervant. Forth husband of Jacoba van Beieren, has lived for a few years in Slot Teylingen.
- Carlo l'Ami, old football player (goalkeeper) and later goalkeeper's trainer by AFC Ajax, in Amsterdam.
|This South Holland location article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Voorhout. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|