- Born: 14 Jan 1797 Alsace-Lorraine
- Died: 18 Aug 1882 Burnips, Allegan County, Michigan
- According to his son's biography, Wilhelm's parents were from Elsass en Lothringen (Alsace-Lorraine).
- Married: Mary Elizabeth Albrecht (1800-1884)
- 2 December 1821 Rimbach, Starkenburg Hessen Germany
- ♀Margreta C Goodman (1823-1882) , b. 1 November 1823, Rimbach, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany
- ♂Adam Albrecht Goodman (1824- ), b. 16 October 1824, Rimbach, Hesse Darmstadt, Germany
- ♂Francis Adam Goodman (1827-1898), born 3 March 1827, Rimbach, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany
- ♀Mary Elizabeth Goodman (1830- ), b. 1830, Waynesboro, Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- ♀Katherine Goodman (1832- ), b. 6 March 1832, Franklin, Pennsylvania;
- ♀Elizabeth Goodman (1834- ), b. 1834, Waynesboro, Franklin Co., Pennsylvania
- ♂William E. Goodman (1836- ), b. 1836, Waynesboro, Franklin Co., Pennsylvania
- ♂David Goodman (1839- ), b. April 30, 1839, Richland Co., Ohio
- Immigration: 1830, Franklin Co. PA
- Located in Franklin Co. Penn., near Waynesboro. Rented a farm for 2 years.
- Residence: 1838, Richland Co. Ohio
Director of the poor: 1857
The 23rd settlement in Allegan Co. Michigan was Salem. It was settled by Michael Straher and John Teed in 1851, and by William Goodman and Charles Strickfaden and his 2 sons in 1852. The township was organized in 1855. William Goodman, Who left the cultivated fields of Ohio for a home in the forests of Michigan, chose 80 acres on section 17, and like Mr. Strickfaden, accepted the hospitality of Mr. Straher, who assisted him in the raising of his log dwelling. Many neighbors from the adjoining township of Monterey also volunteered their services on this occasion. Not a tree had, at this date been cut, on the north of the Rabbit River, and the obscure trail of the few remaining Indians, who occasionally traversed their old hunting-grounds, was the only guide to the traveler. Mr. Goodman has continued since his settlement a resident of the farm he first purchased. He is now in his 84th year, and has recently taken up abode with his daughter, Mrs. Joseph Slagel. Two sons also reside in the township.
(source: History of Allegan and Barry Counties, 1880)
- William H. Goodman Family Tree (Brian J. Nederveld site)
- William Goodman Family Tree ("Some Geek in Tennessee" site)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ^ "Germany, Marriages, 1558-1929," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VC1S-ZXV : accessed 17 May 2012), Wilhelm Gutmann, 1821.
- ^ "Germany, Marriages, 1558-1929," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JHMC-CQQ : accessed 17 May 2012), Wilhelm Gutmann, 1821.