Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Wise County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Texas's location in the U.S.
923 sq mi (2,391 km²)
905 sq mi (2,344 km²)
18 sq mi (47 km²), 1.97%
21/sq mi (8/km²)
Wise County is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. As of 2000, the population was 48,793. Its county seat is Decatur. The county is named for Henry Alexander Wise, a U.S. Congressman from Virginia who supported Texas' annexation. The county is also considered part of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.
The Wise Eyes crime watch program, eventually adopted by mostly rural counties in several states, was started in 1993 by then-Sheriff Phil Ryan. Wise County is only one of several counties in the U.S. to have multiple, family-oriented naturist resorts.
- Montague County (north)
- Cooke County (northeast)
- Denton County (east)
- Tarrant County (southeast)
- Parker County (south)
- Jack County (west)
National protected areaEdit
The following public-use airports are located in the county:
- Bishop Airport (76T)
- Bridgeport Municipal Airport (XBP)
- Decatur Municipal Airport (LUD)
- Heritage Creek Airstrip (58T)
- Rhome Meadows Airport (T76)
As of the census of 2000, there were 48,793 people, 17,178 households, and 13,467 families residing in the county. The population density was 54 people per square mile (21/km²). There were 19,242 housing units at an average density of 21 per square mile (8/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 91.01% White, 1.23% Black, 0.75% Native American, 0.22% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 5.03% from other races, and 1.71% from two or more races. 10.76% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 17,178 households out of which 38.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.10% were married couples living together, 8.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.60% were non-families. 18.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.77 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the county, the population was spread out with 28.30% under the age of 18, 7.80% from 18 to 24, 30.20% from 25 to 44, 23.00% from 45 to 64, and 10.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 101.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $41,933, and the median income for a family was $47,909. Males had a median income of $35,913 versus $23,434 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,729. About 7.50% of families and 9.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.30% of those under age 18 and 10.60% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns Edit
- Briar (unincorporated; partly in Tarrant, Parker counties)
- Decatur (largest city and county seat)
- Greenwood (unincorporated)
- Lake Bridgeport
- New Fairview
- Newark (partly in Tarrant County)
- Pecan Acres (unincorporated; partly in Tarrant County)
- Runaway Bay
- Slidell (unincorporated)
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ WCMessenger.com: Wise Eyes expands its vision
- ^ Public and Private Airports, Wise County, Texas
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Wise County Genealogy Resources
- Wise County on the Web
- Wise County government's website
- "The Blog" - A Local Blog About Wise County
- Wise County in Handbook of Texas Online at the University of Texas
|Clay County||Montague County||Cooke County|
|Jack County||Denton County|
Wise County, Texas
|Palo Pinto County||Parker County||Tarrant County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Wise County, Texas. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|