|Yellowstone County, Montana|
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1883|
|Named for||Yellowstone River|
2,649 sq mi (6,861 km²)
2,633 sq mi (6,819 km²)
16 sq mi (41 km²), 0.6%
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
Yellowstone County is a county located in the State of Montana. As of the 2010 census, the population was 147,972, and a 2013 estimate put the population at 154,162. It is the most populous county in Montana. Its county seat is Billings. Yellowstone County is named for the Yellowstone River which roughly bisects the county from southwest to northeast. The river in turn was named after the yellow Sandstone cliffs in what is now Yellowstone County.
Yellowstone County is included in the Billings, MT Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Musselshell County - north
- Rosebud County - northeast
- Treasure County - east
- Big Horn County - southeast
- Carbon County - southwest
- Stillwater County - west
- Golden Valley County - northwest
National protected areasEdit
As of the census of 2000, there were 129,352 people, 52,084 households, and 34,219 families residing in the county. The population density was 49 people per square mile (19/km²). There were 54,563 housing units at an average density of 21 per square mile (8/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 92.78% White, 0.45% Black or African American, 3.05% Native American, 0.54% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.26% from other races, and 1.87% from two or more races. 3.70% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 31.1% were of German, 10.4% Norwegian, 9.7% Irish, 9.3% English and 5.4% American ancestry.
There were 52,084 households out of which 31.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.80% were married couples living together, 10.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.30% were non-families. 27.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.50% under the age of 18, 9.30% from 18 to 24, 28.70% from 25 to 44, 23.20% from 45 to 64, and 13.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 95.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $36,727, and the median income for a family was $45,277. Males had a median income of $33,475 versus $21,566 for females. The per capita income for the county was $19,303. About 8.50% of families and 11.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.50% of those under age 18 and 7.40% of those age 65 or over.
- List of cemeteries in Yellowstone County, Montana
- List of lakes in Yellowstone County, Montana
- List of mountains in Yellowstone County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Yellowstone County, Montana
- ^ a b "Yellowstone County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/30/30111.html. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Montana Digital Atlas - Montana Natural Resources Information System". Montana State Library, State of Montana. http://maps2.nris.state.mt.us/mapper/. Retrieved 2007-09-27.
- ^ History of Yellowstone as a Place Name
- ^ "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/docs/gazetteer/counties_list_30.txt. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/mt190090.txt. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
|Golden Valley County||Musselshell County||Rosebud County|
|Stillwater County||Treasure County|
Yellowstone County, Montana
|Carbon County||Big Horn County||Big Horn County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Yellowstone County, Montana. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|